At Bootcamps for Change and Sweatier For The Better, we are honoured each and every day to work with a variety of stakeholders: such as but not limited to youth, shelters, donors, supporters, organizations, businesses, partners, as well as course and exam participants. We are dedicated to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information as a donor, customer, or user of our services. Our policy complies with the requirements of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act of Canada.
Definitions for terms in this policy
For the purposes of this policy:
- Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better User Services include, but are not limited to, providing clothing, tuition, sports rehabilitation, fitness or any movement classes, counselling, mentoring, career, education, food, housing, medical attention, shelter and vocational services to those who are homeless, trafficked or at-risk.
- Collect (personal information) – To gather, receive, or obtain personal information from any source outside Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better, by any means.
- User – A person, organization, or business who uses, or applies to use, Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better products or services.
- Disclose (personal information) – To make known or reveal personal information by any means.
- Donor or Customer – An individual, company, association, organization, who has in the past or may in the future make donations to Sweatier For The Better or engage with/purchase Bootcamps for Change services or products.
- Personal information – Means any information about an identifiable individual, except the individual’s name, business address, business phone number, and business email address, and includes, but is not limited to, the individual’s address, birth date, gender, employment, bank account number, credit card number, donation history, or other financial information. With respect to any specific individual, Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better may or may not have personal information within these enumerated categories.
- Third-party – A person, business, organization, or association other than Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better or an employee of Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better or a volunteer working at Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better.
- Use (personal information) – To review, access, employ, or apply personal information for any purpose by and within Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better.
YOUTH SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
Our youth scholarship and employment recipients are 18 years of age at the time of official enrollment under our scholarship, employment and mentorship program. If they are 17 years old at the time of application, they are required to review the application form with a guardian, often a social worker or personal support worker. Interviews, whether online or in-person if conducted when a potential recipient under 18 years of age, will also be conducted with a trusted adult present. Individuals that apply for support of any kind or use any of our offerings will know what their information will be used for beforehand and consent to it.
For example, in terms of the scenario of Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better disclosing information of a youth employment participant to a potential employer, PIPA (in BC or Alberta), and PIPEDA, both require that the individual needs to be informed of this beforehand and give their consent, even if it’s in the best interest of the individual. The exception is if the disclosure of the information is in the best interest of the individual and consent cannot be given in a timely matter.
YOUR FILE AS A USER OR CUSTOMER
Personal information is the information that relates to you, that identifies you as a member, user, or customer of Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better allows us to provide services or information directly to you. We ask you for your personal information so that we can:
- Understand your needs;
- Determine your admissibility for our products and services;
- Inform you about our products and services, that we believe may be of interest to you;
- Invite you to participate in member surveys or other opinion gathering devices; or
- Comply with the law.
You can choose not to provide us with some or all of your personal information. However, this choice may prevent us from providing you with the product, services, or information that you requested or that could be offered to you.
We may also combine your personal information with that of other individuals to create aggregate data which we will use to, for example, improve our products and services and develop new ones. Aggregate data is general information about groups of customers but not about you as an individual.
Your knowledge and consent are required for the collection, use, or disclosure of your personal information. We only collect, use or disclose personal information for the purposes we believe you would consider appropriate under the circumstances. When you provide your information to Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better, we will use your name and address for general mailing and renewal purposes. We believe you would also expect us to contact you to advise you of new and existing services and benefits that may be of interest to you. From time to time, we will inform you of such services and benefits via direct marketing. Direct marketing material is usually delivered to you by mail, telephone, or electronic means.
Sweatier For The Better and/or Bootcamps for Change may collaborate with trusted companies to act on our behalf to fulfill certain functions. The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of our customers may be transmitted to a trusted third-party mailing service in order to inform you of products and services that we offer (or that we and our partners jointly offer) and that we believe may be of interest to you. We may also provide information to a reputable third-party advertising company for the purpose of developing future campaigns and gathering survey information. We may require our partners to have a policy in place that complies with the requirements of the applicable federal or provincial privacy legislation in Canada.
Except as set out in this policy, or as required by law, Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better does not sell or disclose any of your personal information to any other organization and Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better will not transmit personal information to third parties without first obtaining your written consent to do so. Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better may, however, disclose information in the following cases:
- to our lawyer;
- to a police force, if required by law;
- to a person authorized by a law or collective agreement;
- to a government agency which can oblige us to do so;
- in emergency situations in which life, health or safety of a member is in danger;
- to all other persons authorized by law;
- to another person for the development, enhancement, marketing or provision of any of Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better product or services that we believe may be of interest to you;
- to an agent retained by Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better in connection with the collection of your account;
- to a person who, in the reasonable judgment of Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better, is seeking information as your agent; or
- to a third party or parties, where the member or customer consents to such disclosure.
As you browse www.bootcampsforchange.com, advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partners then enables us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with www.bootcampsforchange.com.
EMPLOYEE AND VOLUNTEER RESPONSIBILITIES
Each of our employees and volunteers is responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of all personal information to which they have access. We keep our employees and volunteers informed about our policies and procedures for protecting personal information. Where necessary, our employees and volunteers are required to sign agreements to keep your personal information confidential.
All inquiries or complaints regarding privacy should be directed to the by mail, phone, or email at the addresses below. All inquiries will be responded to within 30 days from the date at which Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better have received the inquiry. Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better can refuse access to a file in certain circumstances.
ACCURACY OF YOUR FILE
You can ask to delete or correct the information contained in your file. The request for correction must be made by writing to us, either by email or by the above-mentioned number. Bootcamps for Change and/or Sweatier For The Better has 30 days to reply.